North east India consists of 7 adjoining states including a standalone state of Sikkim. Northeast is the most tribal India’s region. Even though this region has offered the breathtaking mountainous scenery, it remains the part of India that gets the least visitors every year.
One of the reasons is because of its remoteness and tourists’ requirements. However, the number of visitors that come to the northeast of India has been increasing dramatically. So, the question remains. What’s this region has to offer?
Best Places To Visit in North East India Region
1. The Himalayan State of Sikkim
Sikkim has become a part of northeast India since the 1990s. This is the Shangri-Las of Himalayan. You will admire the beauty of the mountainous view that would sooth you to the soul. There’s an opportunity to learn the ancient Tibetan Buddhist culture in this place.
Here are some activities you can do in Sikkim:
- Gaze at the Khangchendzonga’s soaring peaks, one of the highest mountain in the world
- Meditate in one of the over 200 monasteries all over Sikkim
- Ride a Yak on Changu Lake, the spectacular glacial lake
- Trek at The Trail of Yuksom and Dzongri
- Explore the epic status in Namchi, the south Sikkim’s capital city.
- Admire the Dazzling Scenery at the Yumthang Valley
2. Arunachal Pradesh
Until recently, foreigners can’t travel to this place because it’s highly restricted because of China’s proximity. However, the tourists will be charged with the high cost of travel because of a limitation regulated by the government.
If you’re on a budget, you may wanna visit other places in northeast India. The most well-known place in Arunachal Pradesh is the Tawang Monastery. This is the largest monastery for Buddhist in India.
Here are some attractions you can see in Arunachal Pradesh:
- The largest Monastery in India, Tawan Monestry
- Torgya Festival in January
- Tawan Festival in October
- The pristine national parks of Namdapha
- Dree festival in July
- Myoko Festival of the Apatani Tribe in March
- The Popular Ziro Music Festival in September
- The Galo tribe’s Mopin Festival in April
It’s formerly known as part of Assam. Meghalaya is considered as the wettest place on earth. You have to choose the best time to visit this place wisely because it’s often raining here. During colonial times in the past, this place was very popular.
When you’re visiting here, you can see the leftover buildings, a polo ground, a golf course, Churches, and Victorian bungalows. However, they never lost their charm. You would see the abundant natural attractions in this place like waterfalls, lakes, caves, and living root bridges.
Tourist attractions in Meghalaya:
- The Popular living root bridges, an astonishing natural wonders made by human
- The pristine emerald Umngot River in Dawki.
- Krang Suri’s stunning waterfalls
- Latium Canyon, a part of Mawphlang Sacred Forest
- The densely forested Garo Hills for nature lovers
It’s one of the famous hill stations in India located on the Himalayas’ foothills. IN the past, this place became the summer getaway place for the British.
You can walk around the aromatic tea plantations and seeing the breathtaking views of Mount Kanchenjunga. Darjeeling is a perfect vacation spot for you who just love a quaint vibe that you can experience here.
Furthermore, here are the best places to visit:
- The Himalayan Zoological Park of Padmaja Naidu
- Senchal Wildlife Sanctuary
- The Tiger Hills
- The Peace Pagoda
- The Batasia Loop
- The Rock Garden
- The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway
The land of the hill people will offer you with the whole experience. There are countless opportunities for adventure freaks to satisfy their desire. Mizoram features the mighty mountains nestled in the north-south ways with some narrow rivers around them.
You should have Mizoram as one of the places you’ll visit in north east India. Experience the mesmerizing holiday with your partner and family.
Here are the list of some great places and attractions in Mizoram:
- Chapchar Kut Spring Festival during the spring season
- Murlen National Park
- Phawngpui Hills
- Dampa Tiger Reserve
- Luagmual Handicrafts Center
- Vantawng Falls
- Blue Mountain National Park
If you’re eager to explore the flora and fauna that live in north east India, Assam is the right place to choose. This place is rich in flora and fauna. In fact, it’s considered one of the most popular states in the northeast.
Assam is all about good feels and positive vibes. You will find some archeological sites and vast tea plantations. In fact, The Kaziranga National Park in Assam is one of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. That’s what makes Assam so special.
Some attractions you can have in Assam:
- Rhinoceros at Kaziranga National Park
- Kamakhya Temple
- Assam State Zoo & Botanical Garden
- Manas National Park
- Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary
Best Time to Visit Places in North East India Region
This region has a lot of stunning locations to visit. You can find many country borders in this region including Myanmar, Bhutan, Tibet, and Bangladesh. There are a lot of hills and mountains to see in the whole region.
Because of that, the climate generally remains cool. During the winter season, the climate will get extremely cold. For a perfect vacation, you have to avoid the rainy season which is from May to the end of September.
The best time to visit this region is from November to April. In addition, it also becomes the peak season for travelers. During the best months, you can see the true charm of the region. Don’t worry, the destinations are not gonna be so crowded in the peak seasons.
You will still be able to enjoy your vacation peacefully. Just choose the perfect place at the perfect time. Outside the rainy season, there are various festivals will be held. Get ready to get your eyes visually treated.
You shouldn’t be in doubt to visit this region because it’s got a lot of things to offer. For those of you who just love the beauty of nature, north east India is the best region to visit in the country.